1.) Name 4 martingales.
- Standing, Running, Bib, Irish
2.) Name some reasons you would bandage a horse.
- Stable, Shipping, Exercise, Treatment
3.) What is white line disease?
- The white line is the junction between the hoof wall and the sole on the bottom of the horse’s hoof. White Line Disease is a widening of the white line, or a separation of the hoof wall from the sole. This separation is then invaded by bacteria and fungi, leading to infection that progresses up towards the coronary band which produces a white or gray powdery material.
4.) What is a counter canter?
- When a horse canters on the false lead for his direction of travel. It is used to increase suppleness, teach straightness and is a precursor to teaching the flying change. The counter canter is performed with diagonal aids.
5.) Name some common poisonous plants.
- Arrowgrass • Bracken Fern • Buttercups • Clover (sweet, red, alsike) • Cocklebur • Fescue (tall and chewings) • Foxgloves • Goldenrod • Hydrangea • Lantana • Larkspur • Lupine • Milkweed • Pigweed • St. Johnswort (goatweed) • Trees (apple, black locust, black walnut, cherry, oak, peach, red maple) • Wild onions • Yew