In preparation for the 2022 Horsemanship Exam, we will post practice questions on our website throughout the year. These questions are provided by the NEEC Committee to help junior riders study and prepare for the horsemanship exam at this year’s New England Finals. The questions and answers will remain on the website until the end of September 2022. These questions will not necessarily all be on the 2022 test, but are a combination of questions that have been on past years’ tests and could show up again on this year’s test. Some of the questions/topics posted here on the site are taken from the USHJA Horsemanship Study Guide and the United States Pony Club Manual, which are both excellent study resources.
Make sure to check back each regularly and start your studying!
1) If FEI approved safety cups are not available for oxers in the schooling area at a competition, what may be used instead?
a. Oxers may not be set without the correct safety cups
b. Flat cups
c. Standard cups
d. Cups with breakable pins
2) What type of bandage would be used to stabilize the knee or hock following an injury?
a. Figure 8 Bandage
b. Shipping Bandage
c. Stable Bandage
d. No-Bow Wrap
3) What is a normal temperature range in degrees Fahrenheit for a horse?
a. 96 – 97
c. 99 – 101
b. 97 – 99
d. 100 – 102
4) What type of wound is a tear with jagged edges that may require stitches?
5) Which of the following is a sign that a horse may be colicing?
b. Kicking or biting at the belly
c. Pale gums
d. All of the above
6) Joint injections are commonly used to:
a. Reduce inflammation in the joint
b. Permanently replace the synovial fluid
c. Repair cartilage
d. Flush the joint following injury
7) Which number in the above diagram corresponds to the navicular bone?
8) During collection, a horse's balance shifts which direction?
a. To the rear
b. To the forehand
c. To the outside of the bend
d. To the inside foreleg
9) At what distance should a trot-in one-stride be set in a gymnastic for a horse?
a. 14 feet
b. 18 feet
c. 22 feet
d. 26 feet
10) Square oxers are allowed in the hunters.
11) USEF rule GR845 states that horses entering the show grounds must be accompanied by what documentation?
a. Documentation of Equine Influenza Virus and Equine Herpes Virus (Rhinopneumonitis) vaccinations within six months prior
b. Documentation of EIA vaccination within six months prior
c. A Veterinarian Issued Health Certificate
d. A USHJA horse number
12) What is the technical term for “scratches”?
13) What percentage of a horse’s weight is carried by the forehand?
14) What type of wound is a tear with jagged edges that may require stitches?
15) How many bones are in most breeds of horses?